Long holiday weekends mean we have more time to spend soaking up the sun and celebrating with friends. As the unofficial start of the summer season and a day to honor those who died while serving in the U.S. military, Memorial Day is a good time to kick off the summer season aboard your Outer Reef. Drink responsibly!
MINI WATERMELON MARGARITAS
Serving a drink in a whole baby watermelon is as irresistibly fun as it is delicious. This is a drink for a weekend because yes, it might be simpler to serve it in a glass but why miss out on the chance to share a 4-pound beverage with someone you like. It is fruity, limey and sweet, and best served in the summertime.
• 1 (8-inch) mini watermelon
• 4 ounces tequila
• 2 ounces triple sec
• 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (approximately two limes)
Steps to Make It
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut a circular hole that is slightly larger than the bottom of your stick blender in the top of the melon. Pop the top off with a big spoon. (Don’t use the knife for that.)
3. Coil a damp kitchen towel in the bottom of a bowl to stabilize the watermelon.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend the flesh of the watermelon, moving the blender all around to liquify as much of the juicy melon as possible. Be extremely careful to keep the base of the blender inside of the melon and away from your free hand.
5. Pour the tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice into the melon full of watermelon juice. Stir.
6. Sip from a straw and enjoy!